Thursday, March 6, 2008

Running around in circles

I’ve been down this road before. You would think I know my way around it. I would think there isn’t much to surprise me anymore. But you and I are wrong, my friend. Though I saw it happening to me, to you and to so many others before, I never really learned anything. Because I always think to myself “This time it’s different.” I’m such a fool. Of course it’s different, each moment is. But there’s always a pattern that tends to slip my mind.

I’ve been down this road before. I should have felt the déjà vu. But I didn’t. I just did what I always do… I trusted the person sitting next to me just because it felt good to have someone to walk with. And with that trust came the attachment and that warm feeling of safety. I thought everything was just fine, we’re walking down the road, the same road I’ve been on so many times before. Only it’s different now, isn’t it? It’s sunny and warm, the birds are singing and there are no clouds in sight. And all of a sudden my companion turns left and walks away, just like that. I’m left alone and it’s getting dark.

Typical you would say. And in some sense it is – the same old story. But I’ve been down this road before, and I will walk the same foot steps over and over again because it’s always different and all the same anyway.

No comments: