Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The promised land



We call this land our own, I said to myself as I was looking down at the City of Lights from the highest tower. We call it the land of all opportunities, I thought as my mind slowly began to wonder. I looked up at the sky to try and see the stars. But I guess my eyes were too tired, or maybe my mind was playing tricks on me again, because I couldn’t see any stars in the sky. Maybe they don’t need them anymore, I thought. The city has built its own stars now; it has no need for the sky and what it has to offer.

I looked over to the darker side of the city and noticed the God Factory. Tiny little Gods were manufactured every day, one for each need and every one of them replaceable. All of a sudden I realized I was alone in my tower, a tower I had built myself outside the City of Lights. But the bricks I used weren’t mine, some had been given to me and some I had stolen. Should I burn down the tower and go live in the streets like a beggar? I asked myself.

I took one last look at the city. Although the lights covered the dust in the streets and the gray buildings, somehow I was still able to see what daytime uncovered with cruelty: the cold armor of a living machine. If I take down each and every brick of my tower, will you build a world with me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such is life - a gift nobody asked us if we wanted to receive. There are still so many things we can enjoy. So let's enjoy the enjoyable. The rest is routine. Let's ignore it just like we ignore the fact that we breathe. If you can call it "natural" and not cowardice, it means you're 49 and you call yourself "wise". :P

Narcisa